Setting the Bar for Web Accessibility
There are more than 6.7 million residents in Tennessee, and around 30% face barriers to getting information online due to website inaccessibility and language barriers. Over a million Tennesseans have a reported disability, which can impact their lives in varied ways, from limited sight, hearing and mobility, to reading comprehension and more. Additionally, more than 5% of Tennesseans speak a language other than English as their primary language.
“Web accessibility” means that information online is available for all users. There is a wealth of information online to help people find, understand, and access services they need, but without accessible tools, those resources may go unused.
At DRT, we believe that access to online information is a right and we are deeply committed to providing accessible resources for our website visitors. It is important to our mission to be role models for web accessibility standards.
One way we are fulfilling this commitment is by implementing the Recite Me Toolbar. Learn more about Recite Me. This toolbar offers many options to make our website accessible to both people with disabilities and non-English speaking users. Additionally, it is fully customizable for an individualized experience. Learn more about using Recite Me below.
Summary: Around 30% of Tennesseans have barriers to getting information online. There is important information online about disability services. Without information being available and understandable, people may not use it. DRT cares about web access. We have installed the Recite Me toolbar to help people that visit our web site. You can customize it for your own needs. Learn how to use Recite Me below.
Guide to Using Recite Me
- All content read aloud in a natural voice
- 35 different language options
- Speed controls and Word by Word highlighting for total customization
- MP3 download to listen to content offline
- Text size and color
- Website background color
- Text font type, including Open-Dyslexic
- Text only mode to eliminating all styling, much like a Word document.
- Ruler to read line by line
- Reading Mask to eliminate distraction
- Magnifier to zoom in to sections of text
- Fully integrated dictionary and thesaurus on site
- Margins to reposition text in text-only
- Recite Me quickly and easily translates on demand all your web content into over 100 languages, including 35 text to speech voices.
Learn more about Recite Me at reciteme.com.